I used to go to a gym club. Signing up was already big for me, canceling my subscription was even bigger. I didn’t cancel because I didn’t like it. I liked it. I canceled because I wanted to run, not on a treadmill but outside. Running + yogaing + working + training: no rest for the wicked, no time for the gym club.
Yet this week I was back at a gym club. To teach yoga. With fear and excitement.
See, my yoga teacher is currently hosting her own retreat in Morocco (enters envy), and she asked me to cover at her studio and at the gym club where she teaches once a week (enter gratitude, fear, excitement, overwhelm, “YES!” feeling).
At first I recoiled. I had said ok for the studio, I had already done it. But the gym club? One of the poshest over here? Meh. But at the same time I could feel I would say yes. My head said no from too much thinking, my gut said yes from loving. So once again I stretched out of my comfort zone, got my too much thinking outside the box I had built, and said yes. Did I mention I would teach a style that I study but am not training to teach?
Do I really need to tell you how much I’ve learned from this experience?
- Asthanga Vinyasa Yoga is a real meditation when you practice it, but I wouldn’t want to teach it always. Outside the box, remember?
- I absolutely love working with beginners. They are so open and inquiring, it is truly an honour to be their first yoga teacher.
- The place where you teach does not matter, the students make the class.
- A little dream of mine: in September, set up a class for intermediary level AND a class for beginners. Ok let’s see first if I can get enough people in one class, and we’ll work it out from here 😀
- I forget to focus on what I do right according to my standards and spend too much time focusing on what I do wrong – I know, no right or wrong in yoga but I have some principles 😀
- One wrong: trying to copy my teacher. I’m not her. She’s great, but we are different. When I find my own voice students respond to it. My own voice being not taking myself too seriously and laughing at my goofiness, and hopefully knowing what I’m talking about so they can trust they are safe.
- Shameless plug: if any of you my Brussels readers would be interested in a Vinyasa Flow Yoga class in Brussels with yours truly, please wave at me. I would really really REALLY love to offer and share yoga with you with a regular class of my own starting in September, but I have to work the little kinks out and find out how many of you would come 😉 And you know me: I’m a nice gal.
“If you want to learn, teach” or so they say. It’s true.
And I can’t wait to learn more next Wednesday.
Here’s the nitty-gritty by the way:
- Asthanga Vinyasa Yoga on Wednesdays at 12:30 @ David Lloyd club, Drève de Lorraine 41, 1180 Brussels. I’ll be your humble servant for another 2 weeks, on 4 and 11 May 🙂
- Vinyasa Flow Yoga on Monday 2 May, Thursday 5 May, Monday 9 May, 7:00pm-8:30pm, @ YIB, Rue Alfred Cuysenaar 20, 1060 Brussels – May 2 class is full, but there is still space on May 5 and May 9!